"Do I Need a Coach?"
Maybe! And luckily, I have so many options for how we can work together.
One-to-one Coaching is perfect if...
- You want to get answers to your specific questions and stop wasting time second-guessing yourself.
- You like the idea of having a personal trainer, so to speak, to walk you through whatever bumps in the road you're encountering.
- You're pressed for time and you want focused suggestions and strategies for your children, your parenting, your educational plan.
- You're a little more private and prefer not to share family details with others.
We all come up against obstacles in our lives. The problem is, we’re so familiar with our own issues, we can’t see the solutions! But those solutions are in there – just waiting for you to discover them. It’s my job to see through what’s holding you back and help you find the clarity you need to get unstuck.
As a Coach, I can help you:
- Figure out how your unique family can embrace unschooling principles
- Break through resistance and thoughts that are holding you back
- Identify and make the most of your strengths
- Turn life’s changes and difficulties into opportunities
- Reframe your perceptions
- Raise your awareness of your thoughts, feelings, behaviors
- Help you develop an action plan to turn your goals and dreams into REALITY!
Group Coaching works best when...
- You're feeling isolated and need more unschooling parents in your life.
- You learn best in groups, listening to other scenarios and extracting pertinent information for yourself.
- Unlike a group of friends, a coaching group has a little more direction and focus - bringing the topic back to how to best connect with our children and embrace unschooling.
- Weekly coaching calls keep your goals and intentions in the front of your mind - and give you access to my experience as well as others in the group. (Creating Confidence Membership Group)
- You know that obstacles are going to pop up without warning, and having a set support group in place will make it easier to reach out when problems arise.
- It's more affordable, yet still you get coaching input from Sue
Are You Hesitating Because...
Couldn't I read about unschooling online and learn what I need to know?
You can! And I've been writing blogposts and articles since the 90's! It may take a little while to comb through it all, but it's available at my blog here as well as over at Unschooling Mom2Mom.
The drawback for this option is that it takes longer to find the answers to your question - when you could just ask me! And, sometimes when we're looking for answers online, we fall down rabbit holes that don't solve anything. There's no opportunity to see if the nuances of your particular situation makes a difference in the response you're reading about. And... if you're anything like me... sometimes reading and reading ends up being a procrastination tool. You're struggling to find the perfect answer... while your kids are growing up quickly right there beside you!
I don't really want to pay for something I can get for free.
If you can, then great! But I don't know very many experienced unschooling parents with grown unschooled kids who are making themselves available to the new families beginning their unschooling journey.
And, not to toot my own horn too much, but I have developed a few superpowers over the years:
- I genuinely like people and enjoy helping them figure out what will really work best for them.
- I'm not so married to unschooling that I don't realize that everyone's path looks different - and it changes all the time. I haven't forgotten about compassion and empathy.
- Way back when, I was a psychiatric nurse. I learned excellent techniques for active listening. And then later, I completed the coaching program offered by Martha Beck (Oprah's life coach!)
- With over twenty years in the homeschooling/unschooling community, I've seen a lot - what worked and what sounded good, but didn't work! I love that I'm in a position now where I can share all this information with parents who can really benefit from it.
When you go to friends with problems, they listen, they offer suggestions, and then you listen to their problems. It’s a two-way street – and it’s supposed to be. It’s a dialogue. The focus can’t be only on you. And that’s where having a coach can make a difference. It’s not a two-way street with us. I’m listening to you and helping you to uncover what you want to do next. I won’t tell you what to do, but instead, help you figure out what YOU really want. I will walk beside you, creating a plan WITH you – asking questions, using coaching tools, principles and methods to help you move toward exactly what you want.
As your coach, I will challenge you to push as well as remind you to be compassionate to yourself. My job is to look for the obstacles that might be preventing you from getting even more out of life!